The Computing Research Association's Committee on the Status of Women in Computing Research (CRAW) in an alliance with the Coalition to Diversify Computing (CDC), a joint organization of the ACM, CRA, and IEEE CS, is seeking to increase the participation of women and minorities in computing research.
CRA-W and CDC jointly solicit proposals for discipline-specific mentoring workshops within computing sub-fields. The goal of these discipline-specific mentoring workshops is to increase participation of members of underrepresented groups within a specific research area by providing career mentoring advice and discipline-specific overviews of past accomplishments and future research directions.
Specifically, the workshop should focus on helping young researchers at the graduate or post-graduate level become interested in and knowledgeable about the research and research paradigms of a specific discipline.
Because this program operates with funding from the US National Science Foundation, the primary proposer must be from a US university and the workshop location should reachable as "domestic travel" from the US as defined by NSF.
The submission deadline is June 15 of every year. Please submit your request 6 months or more before the planned workshop. Funding notifications will be sent roughly within one month of the deadline.
Upcoming and past workshops:
- August 27-28, 2012: CRA-W/CDC Discipline-Specific Workshop in Computer Architecture
- May 5-6, 2012: CHIMe 2012 - The 2012 Computer Human Interaction Mentoring (CHIMe) Workshop, co-sponsored by the Computing Research Association's Committee on the Status of Women in Computing Research, the Coalition to Diversify Computing, and the National Science Foundation
Co-located with CHI2012
- April, 2012: First CRA-W / CDC Discipline-Specific Workshop on Data Mining April 27-28, 2012 www.dataminingshop.com
- March 26, 2012: The Second Networking Networking (N2Women) Workshop
Co-located with Infocomm
- January, 2012: CRA-W/CDC and SIGPLAN Programming Languages Mentoring Workshop to be held on January 24, 2012 http://www.seas.upenn.edu/~sweirich/plmw12/
- May, 2011: First CRA-W/CDC Workshop on Diversity in Design Automation and Test: Putting D(iversity) in Design Automation and Test
- March, 2011: Workshop on Multicore Systems – Architectures, Runtime Systems and Software Development: http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~soffa/multicore-workshop/
- October, 2010: First Workshop on Diversity in Embedded Computing and Cyber-Physical Systems http://www.ece.gatech.edu/research/labs/esl/Activities/diversity-workshop.html
- October, 2010: CRA-W/CDC Usenix Diversity 2010 co-located with OSDI'2010 http://www.usenix.org/events/diversity10/
- September, 2010: Networking Networking Women Workshop http://cms.comsoc.org/eprise/main/SiteGen/n2women/Content/Home/Workshop.html
- June, 2010: DB Me (Databases) http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~rap/dbme/
- June, 2010: Women in Theory Workshop 2010 (WIT2010) http://intractability.princeton.edu/blog/2009/11/women-in-theory-2010-workshop/
- April, 2010: Computer Human Interaction Mentoring (CHIMe) Workshop http://happy.cs.vt.edu/chime/
- November, 2009: CRA-W/CDC day preceding 19th Annual Fall Workshop on Computational Geometry http://www.cs.tufts.edu/research/geometry/FWCG09/
- October, 2009: SOSP Diversity Workshop 2009 http://www.sigops.org/sosp/sosp09/diversity.html
- July 2009: CRA-W/CDC Careers in High Performance Systems (CHiPS) Mentoring Workshop http://www.cis.udel.edu/chips-mentoring-workshop/
- March, 2009: Workshop on Pervasive Computing http://web.mst.edu/~cswebdb/Workshop-AFRL/home.html
- January, 2009: PLOSA: http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/mckinley/plosa-craw-2009/
- December, 2008: Women in Machine Learning: http://www.wimlworkshop.org/
- August, 2008: CompArch Summer School on Parallel Programming and Architectures: http://www.princeton.edu/~archss
- July, 2008: 3rd International Compulog/ALP Summer School on Logic Programming and Computational Logic, New Mexico State University: http://www.cs.nmsu.edu/~ipivkina/compulog.htm
- June, 2008: Women in Theory (WIT) workshop 2008: http://www.cs.princeton.edu/theory/index.php/Main/WIT08
- June, 2008: CRA-W/CDC Systems Research Mentoring Workshop: http://www.cis.udel.edu/systems-mentoring-workshop/
- October, 2007: SOSP Women's Workshop: http://www.cs.duke.edu/~carla/womens_workshop/
- May, 2007: CRA-W and CDC Programming Languages Workshop: http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/mckinley/pl-summer-2007/.
- July, 2006: CRA-W and CDC Computer Architecture Workshop
DSW is a joint project of CRA-W and the Coalition to Diversify Computing.