The Computing Research Association's Committee on the Status of Women in Computing Research (CRAW) in an alliance with the Coalition to Diversify Computing (CDC), a joint organization of the ACM, CRA, and IEEE CS, is seeking to increase the participation of women and minorities in computing research.
CRA-W and CDC jointly solicit proposals for discipline-specific mentoring workshops within computing sub-fields. The goal of these discipline-specific mentoring workshops is to increase participation of members of underrepresented groups within a specific research area by providing career mentoring advice and discipline-specific overviews of past accomplishments and future research directions.
Specifically, the workshop should focus on helping young researchers at the graduate or post-graduate level become interested in and knowledgeable about the research and research paradigms of a specific discipline.
Because this program operates with funding from the US National Science Foundation, the primary proposer must be from a US university and the workshop location should reachable as "domestic travel" from the US as defined by NSF.
Please submit your request at least 6 months before the planned workshop. The submission deadline is June 15 of every year. To attenuate the difficulties introduced by a yearly deadline we will also accept submissions by Dec 15, but we expect most of the program funds to go towards the June 15 pool and we encourage you to submit by this deadline. Funding notifications will be sent roughly within one month of the deadline.
Upcoming and past workshops:
- Oct. 5, 2014 - OSDI Diversity. Broomfield, CO.
- Sep. 13, 2014 - Ubiquitous Computing Diversity. Seattle, WA.
- August 17, 2014 - Fourth Networking Networking Women Workshop - N2Women: Broadening Participation
- July 27-31 - CRA-W/CDC Workshop at AAAI 2014
- Jun. 1-2, 2014 - Fostering Diversity in Design Automation. San Francisco, CA.
- Apr. 2, 2014 - Games Research. Ft. Lauderdale, FL.
- Feb. 24-25, 2014 - Broadening Participation in Visualization. Clemson, SC.
- Nov. 3-6, 2013 - SOSP Diversity. Farmington, PA
- Aug. 9-10, 2013 - Broadening Participation in Data Mining. Chicago, IL.
- May 18-19, 2013 - Security. San Francisco, CA.
- May 6-7, 2013 - Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems. St. Paul, MN.
- August 27-28, 2012: CRA-W/CDC Discipline-Specific Workshop in Computer Architecture
- May 5-6, 2012: CHIMe 2012 - The 2012 Computer Human Interaction Mentoring (CHIMe) Workshop, co-sponsored by the Computing Research Association's Committee on the Status of Women in Computing Research, the Coalition to Diversify Computing, and the National Science Foundation
Co-located with CHI2012
- April, 2012: First CRA-W / CDC Discipline-Specific Workshop on Data Mining April 27-28, 2012 www.dataminingshop.com
- March 26, 2012: The Second Networking Networking (N2Women) Workshop
Co-located with Infocomm
- January, 2012: CRA-W/CDC and SIGPLAN Programming Languages Mentoring Workshop to be held on January 24, 2012 http://www.seas.upenn.edu/~sweirich/plmw12/
- May, 2011: First CRA-W/CDC Workshop on Diversity in Design Automation and Test: Putting D(iversity) in Design Automation and Test
- March, 2011: Workshop on Multicore Systems – Architectures, Runtime Systems and Software Development: http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~soffa/multicore-workshop/
- October, 2010: First Workshop on Diversity in Embedded Computing and Cyber-Physical Systems http://www.ece.gatech.edu/research/labs/esl/Activities/diversity-workshop.html
- October, 2010: CRA-W/CDC Usenix Diversity 2010 co-located with OSDI'2010 http://www.usenix.org/events/diversity10/
- September, 2010: Networking Networking Women Workshop http://cms.comsoc.org/eprise/main/SiteGen/n2women/Content/Home/Workshop.html
- June, 2010: DB Me (Databases) http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~rap/dbme/
- June, 2010: Women in Theory Workshop 2010 (WIT2010) http://intractability.princeton.edu/blog/2009/11/women-in-theory-2010-workshop/
- April, 2010: Computer Human Interaction Mentoring (CHIMe) Workshop http://happy.cs.vt.edu/chime/
- November, 2009: CRA-W/CDC day preceding 19th Annual Fall Workshop on Computational Geometry http://www.cs.tufts.edu/research/geometry/FWCG09/
- October, 2009: SOSP Diversity Workshop 2009 http://www.sigops.org/sosp/sosp09/diversity.html
- July 2009: CRA-W/CDC Careers in High Performance Systems (CHiPS) Mentoring Workshop http://www.cis.udel.edu/chips-mentoring-workshop/
- March, 2009: Workshop on Pervasive Computing http://web.mst.edu/~cswebdb/Workshop-AFRL/home.html
- January, 2009: PLOSA: http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/mckinley/plosa-craw-2009/
- December, 2008: Women in Machine Learning: http://www.wimlworkshop.org/
- August, 2008: CompArch Summer School on Parallel Programming and Architectures: http://www.princeton.edu/~archss
- July, 2008: 3rd International Compulog/ALP Summer School on Logic Programming and Computational Logic, New Mexico State University: http://www.cs.nmsu.edu/~ipivkina/compulog.htm
- June, 2008: Women in Theory (WIT) workshop 2008: http://www.cs.princeton.edu/theory/index.php/Main/WIT08
- June, 2008: CRA-W/CDC Systems Research Mentoring Workshop: http://www.cis.udel.edu/systems-mentoring-workshop/
- October, 2007: SOSP Women's Workshop: http://www.cs.duke.edu/~carla/womens_workshop/
- May, 2007: CRA-W and CDC Programming Languages Workshop: http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/mckinley/pl-summer-2007/.
- July, 2006: CRA-W and CDC Computer Architecture Workshop
DSW is a joint project of CRA-W and the Coalition to Diversify Computing.